Members can connect with HealthTap doctors from any computer, tablet, or smartphone with a reliable internet connection.
To start a virtual visit with a HealthTap doctor, please follow these steps:
1. Log in to your HealthTap account
2. Under the "Talk to a Doctor" section Select “Urgent Care Now” or for time-sensitive issues like fever, stomach pain, or rashes. Primary Care is for ongoing preventative care and managing chronic conditions like hypertension or diabetes
3. Choose who the visit is for by selecting your name. If you have any sub accounts, they will be listed here for you to select. You’ll also be prompted to verify your location. If the location listed does not match your current location, you can select "(change)". Once you begin typing, a list of search results will appear. Choose your desired location by clicking on it
4. Click "Next"
5. On the next page enter the reason you are initiating the medical visit. The explanation must be under 1000 characters. When you are finished, click "Next"
6. You will be prompted to enter or verify information about yourself. You must enter all of the information to proceed. To add or change the information in any section, select "Edit" in the bottom right corner of that box. Once you add/change the information in a section, select "Save" to save the information to your profile.
You will also need to choose a preferred pharmacy for any potential prescriptions that are prescribed through HealthTap. You can search your pharmacy by name, city, or postal code. If you do not initially see your preferred pharmacy, you can scroll down within the search results. Once you have selected your preferred pharmacy, select "Save" to save this information to your profile
7. Add your current conditions, food and medication allergies, current medications, vitamins, and supplements by selecting the "+ Add" link. If these do not apply select the checkbox starting associated with each section. Once complete, select "Next" at the bottom of the page
Note: On the next screen, you will see the payment details of the visit. The cost of the visit will depend on the type of HealthTap plan you have, your insurance coverage amount, or if there are any credits on your account.
8. On the Confirm Payment screen you will be able to select, "+ Add insurance" and "Enter payment details" if you have not already added your insurance provider or payment information already
9. Lastly, you will have the option to "Turn on my video". We strongly recommend that you use video because seeing you can help the doctor provide better care (It is a general requirement to have video turned on when medication is prescribed). You will also have the option to turn on video and audio during the visit
A blue icon means that the virtual visit will start with the video and audio on.
10. When you are ready to begin your visit, click "Start visit" and you will be connected to a doctor!
Please note that for any given visit on HealthTap:
- You may contact the HealthTap Support team if your visit is interrupted due to a technical failure OR if the doctor is unable to provide the appropriate care to you
- HealthTap members who are U.S. residents traveling abroad can access virtual visits, but the doctors cannot prescribe medicine
- Just like with in-person doctors, getting a prescription depends on many things. For example, your doctor might refill your antidepressant prescription in an Urgent Care visit, but they’re unlikely to start you on a new drug. For managing ongoing conditions, it’s best to start seeing a Primary Care doctor on HealthTap who can get to know you and your medical history
There are some medications that telemedicine providers, including HealthTap doctors, rarely if ever prescribe or refill. These medications are nearly always prescribed in-person. Below is a sample list using brand and generic names based on what’s best known to consumers
Opioids and other controlled substances like:
Psychiatric drugs like:
Lifestyle drugs like:
Please note that this list provides examples only. There are other such drugs.