Members can connect with HealthTap doctors from any computer, tablet, or smartphone with a reliable internet connection.
To start a virtual visit with a HealthTap doctor, please follow these steps:
1. Log in to your HealthTap account
2. On the "Home" screen select “Primary Care Appointment” or select your "Specific Need (i.e. Women's Health)"based on what kind of care needed. Urgent Care is for time-sensitive issues like fever, stomach pain, or rashes. However, our primary care doctors can help you with a broad range of health issues, medications and lab orders by video appointment.
3. Choose who the visit is for by selecting your name. If you have any sub accounts, they will be listed here for you to select. You’ll also be prompted to verify your location. If the location listed does not match your current location, you can select "(change)". Once you begin typing, a list of search results will appear. Choose your desired location by clicking on it.
4. Choose your doctor by selecting "Book appointment". To get more information about the doctor before booking an appointment, select the doctor's name and you will have access to their profile.
5. Select which time is date and time works best for you.
6. On the next page enter the reason you are initiating the medical visit. The explanation must be under 1000 characters. When you are finished, click "Next".
7. You will be prompted to enter or verify information about yourself. You must enter all of the information to proceed. To add or change the information in any section, select "Edit" in the bottom right corner of that box. Once you add/change the information in a section, select "Save" to save the information to your profile.
You will also need to choose a preferred pharmacy for any potential prescriptions that are prescribed through HealthTap. You can search your pharmacy by name, city, or postal code. If you do not initially see your preferred pharmacy, you can scroll down within the search results. Once you have selected your preferred pharmacy, select "Save" to save this information to your profile.
8. Add your current conditions, food and medication allergies, current medications, vitamins, and supplements by selecting the "+ Add" link. If these do not apply select the checkbox starting associated with each section. Once complete, select "Next" at the bottom of the page.
Note: On the next screen, you will see the payment details of the visit.
9. Enter or update your payment details then select "Confirm payment".
10. Now that the visit has been successfully scheduled you can prepare your visit by selecting "Get ready for your appointment". This will take you through a device test that get ready you can get ready and go through.
11. You may test your audio and video by selecting "Test your device prior to visit" and following the screens. There is also the option to input additional health information by selecting "Complete your health profile".
12. You will receive an appointment reminder before the time of your visit. When it is time for your appointment you can access your upcoming visit by selecting the "Upcoming appointment with Dr. ___" tile.
13. Once you are ready to join your appointment, select "Join video visit".
14. Lastly, you will have the option to "Turn on my video". We strongly recommend that you use video because seeing you can help the doctor provide better care (It is a general requirement to have video turned on when medication is prescribed). You will also have the option to turn on video and audio during the visit.
A blue icon means that the virtual visit will start with the video and audio on.
Please note that for any given visit on HealthTap:
- You may contact the HealthTap Support team if your visit is interrupted due to a technical failure OR if the doctor is unable to provide the appropriate care to you
- HealthTap members who are U.S. residents traveling abroad can access virtual visits, but the doctors cannot prescribe medicine
- Just like with in-person doctors, getting a prescription depends on many things. For example, your doctor might refill your antidepressant prescription in an Urgent Care visit, but they’re unlikely to start you on a new drug. For managing ongoing conditions, it’s best to start seeing a Primary Care doctor on HealthTap who can get to know you and your medical history
There are some medications that telemedicine providers, including HealthTap doctors, rarely if ever prescribe or refill. These medications are nearly always prescribed in-person. Below is a sample list using brand and generic names based on what’s best known to consumers
Opioids and other controlled substances like:
Psychiatric drugs like:
Lifestyle drugs like:
Please note that this list provides examples only. There are other such drugs.